Artificial intelligence, machine learning, natural language processing, deep learning, neural networks – it’s all a new vocabulary for both job seekers and recruiters. Already gasping from the torrent of new technologies rushing into the workplace, they now have to deal with yet another “next big thing.” Only this big thing has to potential to turn their world upside down.
Those of us in the talent acquisition technology industry need to be aware of how people view this technology, whether or not it’s being used in our products. Why? Because their perceptions are a leading indicator of how the technology is reshaping the workplace and thus changing the number and kinds of jobs employers will have to fill. In a sense, they are the canaries in the mine – they can tell us in which industries and career fields AI is eliminating jobs or will and thus provide some advance warning on how the recruitment market will evolve in the months and years ahead.
To capture their perceptions, TAtech is pleased to announce that it has partnered with Fluent, a people-based marketing platform that uses real-time, one-to-one interaction to create custom audiences and serve personalized ads that drive performance at scale, to launch a new annual survey entitled The TAtech-Fluent Annual Survey of Consumer Perceptions of AI. Since every consumer is either a potential job seeker or a recruiter, this survey will yield important insights on how our customers look at artificial intelligence – from chatbots to machine-learning based recruitment marketing platforms – and what they think the future holds as it permeates the workplace.
The survey will tap Fluent’s database of millions of U.S. consumers over the age of 18 to gather those insights each year. The results will be presented at the TAtech Fall Congress & World Job Board Forum with additional details presented on the TAtech blog – TAprose.
To illustrate the power of this research, Fluent conducted a pilot survey on AI in late 2017. Among the highlights from its findings are the following:
• Americans generally regard AI development as a positive force (22%) and few have a negative outlook (7%) on how this technology may affect their job prospects in the future.
• At the same time, 4-in-10 respondents said they were worried that loss of jobs to AI may have a negative impact on the economy, though fewer Americans were specifically concerned about their own job being outsourced (21%).
• There is, however, a distrust of technology companies in charge of ensuring safety and security of AI technologies to come. Only 7% of US consumers say they trust these companies “a lot” and more than 6 in 10 say they do not have much trust.
• Google, Apple, Microsoft, and Amazon are the most trusted brands to bring about safe AI technologies, and – no surprise – Millennials and Gen Z are more trusting of technology companies than older generations.
To read the full report, please click here. And to get the results of the 2018 Survey, join us at the TAtech Fall Congress & World Job Board Forum, September 26-27 in New Orleans, Louisiana USA. Early bird and group registrations are now available.
Food for thought,
TAprose and The Job Board Journalist by Peter Weddle are brought to you by TAtech: The Association for Talent Acquisition Solutions.
Mark Your Calendars! TAtech’s 2018 events include:
• February 12-13, 2018 Scottsdale, Arizona USA: The TAtech Leadership Summit on AI/Machine Learning in Talent Acquisition – the only conference totally focused on the capabilities and impact of AI/ML/NLP in recruitment. See you next year!
• March 13-14, 2018 Dublin, Ireland: TAtechEurope 2018 – the premier event for recruitment advertising and technology thought & business leaders in Europe, the Middle East and Africa.
• April 18-19, 2018 Las Vegas, Nevada USA: The TAtech Spring Congress & Meetup – a unique conference designed to maximize opportunities for B2B networking, trending topic discussions and the exploration of partnerships and business opportunities.
• June 5-6, 2018 Minneapolis, Minnesota USA: The TAtech Leadership Summit on Programmatic Ad Buying – the only conference totally focused on the technology and applications of programmatic ad buying by both publishers and advertisers.
• September 26-27, 2018 Bourbon Street New Orleans, Louisiana USA: The TAtech Fall Congress & World Job Board Forum – the Global Economic Forum of recruiting, this event brings together thought & business leaders from job boards and all other talent acquisition technology solutions companies around the world.